THE CITY seeks to reach the widest possible audience for its journalism. Where indicated, we encourage you to republish the text of articles published by THE CITY (the “Stories”) for free under a Creative Commons “Attribution” license, subject to the following additional terms. Here’s what you need to do:
• You must give us credit, in the format: “by AUTHOR NAME, THE CITY” with our logo. Please include a line at the top of the Story that reads: This story was originally published on [DATE] by THE CITY.” (Make sure that THE CITY is all-caps and bold.) The credit line must link back to the original post on our site (not our homepage). Grab our logo here.
• You must not edit, cut or alter the Story, except to suit your in-house style (e.g. % vs. “percent”).
• You can publish our original photos, graphics and other media with proper attribution. Third-party content that is not owned by THE CITY, including photos from agencies, must be separately licensed. You are solely responsible for identifying and licensing third-party content at THE CITY expressly disclaims any liability arising out of your unauthorized use of third-party content.
• At the end of the Story, you must include the line: “This story was originally published by THE CITY, an independent, nonprofit news organization dedicated to hard-hitting reporting that serves the people of New York.”
• If you share the Story or a link to the Story on social media, please tag us on Twitter and Facebook (@THECITYNY).
• You must not resell the Story or sell ads against the Story. It’s fine to publish on the Story on a page that’s surrounded by previously sold ads, however.
• Any website on which the Story appears must include a prominent and effective way to contact your news organization.
• For print outlets, the above all applies, save for embedding links. You must include our main url – www.thecity.nyc – in the tagline: “This story was originally published by THE CITY (www.thecity.nyc), an independent, nonprofit news organization dedicated to hard-hitting reporting that serves the people of New York.”
• Let us know when you use our work by sending us an email to email@example.com.
We reserve the right to deny, revoke or limit the rights conveyed herein for any reason, including (but not limited to) instances in which these conditions are not met or the reproduced material is not presented in a responsible manner.
THE CITY also occasionally collaborates with other news organizations on reporting and sometimes republishes content from other newsrooms on our website. For partnership inquiries, contact Andrew Epstein at firstname.lastname@example.org.